My quick and easy guide to the rituals of exchanging business cards in South East Asia.
- Do exchange business cards at the beginning of your meeting. It should be considered as an important part of your greeting when you first meet your Asian associates.
- Don’t pass your business cards out as though you are dealing a deck of playing cards.
- Do bow slightly and present your business card with both hands with the non-English side facing up.
- Do not take someone’s business card, give it a cursory glance, and then stuff it away in your pocket to refer to later!
- Do not keep taking people’s business cards out to check their names. It is worth trying to remember their name when they give you their card! It is considered an insult if you have to keep checking their card to remember a name.
- Study the other person’s business card for while and make a mental note of their name, and then put it away in a card holder. Alternatively, if there are a number of members present in your meeting, you can lay all the cards out on the table in front of you and leave them there until the end of the meeting.
- Do not write on people’s business cards (at least, not in front of them): it is considered a direct insult.
My printing press operator said today “a business card is like a ticket for the lottery…. for a prize that you don’t know about” and i thought how true!
How many cards do you give out not knowing what might come of them? I attend many networking events and being a printer, have no limit to the number of cards I can produce, so I go through thousands per year.
It only takes 1 well designed and professionally printed business card to reach your ideal client, how much business will that business card bring you, £5,000, £50,000, £500,000?
We design and print over 200,000 business cards per month – just goes to show how much business my customers are doing and with prices from just £49 you can’t afford not to!
Business cards are a valuable marketing tool for any industry or profession. Whether you are an entrepreneur and use business cards for networking and advertising or if you represent a large firm and distribute the cards to vendors and high level contacts, the cards serve their purpose of creating a lasting impression.
Since business cards play such an essential role in marketing you and or your brand, it is important to design the cards in a way that draws attention and stands out from the rest.
Discussed below are 10 tips to help you design memorable business cards.
- Be sure the cards are functional by including all the necessary information- Company Name, Contact Number(s), Mailing address, email address, website.
- If you can list an individual’s name on the card, I’d recommend doing so. It will create a personal touch. Add a title of the individual as well.
- The most prominent information on the card should be the business name. Be sure to add this in text even if the logo includes the business name.
- If the company is a web only business, adding a physical or mailing address is not needed, but be sure to clearly list the web address.
- Technology is becoming more and more widely used as a form of communication. Adding your social media contact information is very beneficial.
- A catchy tagline, motto, or short description of the company is a good feature to add so people know what your business is about. If you have space, you can even include a few of the main products or services you offer.
- To make your business cards stand out, choose a solid coloured background like black, instead of the usual white background. Eye catching text and logo colours work well too. Red is proven to catch ones attention most.
- Differentiate your card from the standard, horizontal, version by designing a vertical card.
- If an individual listed on the card is the face of the business, such as a real estate agent or insurance agent, add a photo of the person as well. This will allow people to connect a face to the company name.
- Choose a unique material like a textured paper, a magnet, a laminated card, or even leather. There are a variety of options out there that will help your card be distinguished from the rest.